Autumn is the perfect season for baking. The crisp air and the colourful leaves inspire us to spend more time indoors, experimenting with new recipes and enjoying the warmth of the oven. One of the most popular treats this time of year is apple cake. The sweet and tart flavour of apples pairs perfectly with the warm spices and rich flavours of the season. If you’re looking for a gluten-free recipe that’s easy to make and delicious, look no further. Here’s how to make a gluten-free apple cake that will become a family favourite.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the applesauce, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped apple.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve the gluten-free apple cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious autumn treat.
- If you don’t have a gluten-free flour blend, you can make your own by combining equal parts rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour.
- Use a tart apple like Granny Smith for the best flavor and texture.
- You can also add chopped nuts, raisins, or dried cranberries to the batter for extra flavor and texture.
- To make the cake dairy-free, use a dairy-free butter substitute and unsweetened almond milk instead of butter and regular milk.
Baking an autumn cake is a perfect way to celebrate the season, and this gluten-free apple cake is a delicious option for those who want to enjoy a sweet treat without gluten. The warm spices and juicy apples will make your kitchen smell amazing and the taste will be unforgettable. Give this recipe a try and impress your family and friends with your baking skills. Happy autumn baking!