Fruit leathers are a favourite snack among both kids and adults. They’re sweet, chewy, and satisfying, and they’re the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without reaching for processed sweets. Unfortunately, many store-bought fruit rollups are loaded with sugar, artificial flavors, and preservatives. The good news is that you can easily make your own fruit leathers at home, using only natural ingredients. Here’s how to make homemade fruit leathers that are healthy, delicious, and easy to make.
- 4 cups fresh fruit (such as strawberries, blueberries, apricots or peaches)
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170°F (77°C) or the lowest temperature setting available.
- Wash and chop the fruit into small pieces, discarding any stems, pits, or tough skins.
- Add the fruit to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- If desired, add honey or maple syrup and lemon juice to taste. This will depend on the sweetness of your fruit, so taste the puree and adjust as necessary.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the fruit puree onto the sheet, spreading it into an even layer with a spatula.
- Bake for 4-6 hours, or until the fruit is no longer sticky to the touch but still pliable.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the fruit to cool for a few minutes.
- Use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut the fruit into strips or shapes.
- Roll up the fruit strips or shapes in parchment paper, and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Use fresh, ripe fruit for the best flavour and texture.
- You can use a combination of different fruits for a more complex flavour.
- If you don’t have parchment paper, use a silicone mat instead.
- You can add spices such as cinnamon or ginger to the puree for extra flavour.
- If you don’t have a blender or food processor, you can use a potato masher or a fork to mash the fruit by hand.
Homemade fruit leathers are a delicious and healthy snack that’s easy to make at home. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of patience, you can create a snack that’s free of artificial ingredients and full of natural flavor. The best part is that you can customize the recipe to your liking, using your favorite fruits and flavors. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious taste of homemade fruit leathers anytime, anywhere.